notes

Monday, November 20, 2006

song of songs....thoughts.

I've been reading Psalms, Proverbs, Jobs, Ecclesiastes, and Song of Solomon for my OT class. I've been challenged in countless ways. Sometimes I stop reading and just sit as I try to soak up some of what I just read. Thoughts right now?

I've thought marriage is a bit...selfish. Kinda 2nd class. The best thing is to be all about the gospel and sharing Christ w/ others. Relationships can kinda get in the way. It's better to be alone. Haven't you read 1 Corinthians 7? (Or is is 2nd)? Anywho....i just read Song of Songs and was convicted (and relieved) that perhaps God intends something much different.

"The book is called the "best of songs," and for good reason. This is a song about love that Adam could have sung in the Garden before sin entered the picture. In clear but pure language the book praises the mutual love between husband and wife, and thereby teaches us not to despise physical beauty and marital love as being of a low order. Since these are gifts from the Creator to His creatures they are good and perfect in their place and for their purpose. The book presents a strong warning against an unbiblical dualism which holds the physical and material are of a "lower" rank than the spiritual. This book also refutes the idea that the unmarried state as more virtuous than the state of matrimony."

This is a paragraph from a commentary I read on this book. Dang, physical attractiveness is not any 'lower' than spiritual. It's important you're attracted to your mate. It's not wrong to be. hmm....read this book. be challenged. encouraged. wherever you are at in life.

my favorite book of the bible? by far ecclesiastes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home