notes

Friday, October 20, 2006

application of Joshua.

God promised Joshua the land and victory over its inhabitants. “Every place on which the sole of your foot treads, I have given it to you…No man will be able to stand before you all the days of your life. Just as I have been with Moses, I will be with you; I will not fail you or forsake you” (Joshua 1:3, 5). God promises to be with Joshua. He promises victory over the inhabitants of the land. So, why does Joshua send out spies to the land? Does he not trust God’s provision and so he takes matters into his own hand? Why didn’t Joshua just go into the land? Does this action exemplify Joshua’s lack of trust in God? Does he lack faith in God’s words? No, it appears not.
This is not the first time spies have been sent prior to a military engagement. Moses sent the twelve spies (Joshua and Caleb were two of the men) to the promised land to scope it out. It appears that Joshua was following in Moses footsteps. Joshua had caught some leadership qualities from Moses.
While God had promised to provide, and Joshua trusted and believed this whole-heartedly, the means by which this would be accomplished were not clear. Joshua needed to do his part and gather enough information about the lay out of the land to develop a plan of attack. The fact that Joshua sent spies out doesn’t display a lack of trust in God’s promise for deliverance. Joshua needed to wisely use the resources God had provided for him and as a wise military leader Joshua had to gather certain information about his enemy.
As Christians it’s easy to sit back and use the excuse that you’re waiting God. But, God isn’t going to hold our hands through life. He didn’t tell Joshua exactly how to go about things militarily. Joshua had to rely upon what he knew; resources given to him. God had raised Joshua up as a leader under Moses. He had the Israelites in support of his leadership. Joshua had been trained as a solider. Joshua was faithful with the resources he had. He knew the promise was assured, but he had to work it out himself.
I don’t want to wait for God to hold my hand through life. I need to be aware of the resources that God has provided for me to accomplish what he desires of me in this life. What kind of training have I been provided? What resources are at my fingertips? And how can I use these tools to accomplish what God has already promised? What direction is God leading me? What would he have for me to accomplish in life? I see times in my life when I have waited for God to provide the exact means. But, I am responsible for my part. I must use the resources God has given me, to accomplish what he desires of me.
A prime example of this is the desire people have to ‘do missions.’ I have known people who express their strong passion to go overseas, but no one has knocked on their doors begging for them to come. It will take much dedication and work if you decide to serve overseas. God isn’t going to simply hold your hand through the entire process.
I will be more aware of this as I continue to seek the niche in which I feel God can use me and the gifts he has blessed me with. It is important to know the resources that God has provided his children. When God calls me to something and I am certain of what God desires, I will seek to do what he would have for me. I will not feel badly about not knowing exactly how to go about, but will trust the outcome is certain though the way is murky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home