notes

Monday, November 20, 2006

movie: finding_forrester.

Do we trust God? What does it look like to trust God? So often we take situations into our own control stating with our words we trust God, but our actions speak something much differently. When unquestionably wronged are we quick to defend ourselves? Or do we trust God’s justice will ultimately prevail? Do we seek our own benefit or willing to sacrifice our reputation for the sake of another? Movies often center around different themes. And while not a Christian film, “Finding Forrester” clearly depicts certain admirable qualities of integrity and trust which ultimately lead to justice being served and the main character to be vindicated. Ideas developed within this film will be used to portray different aspects of Christian faith described in the Psalms.


Jamal Wallace is an intelligent boy growing up in a rough neighborhood in New York City. He stumbles across a recluse old man and a friendship begins to develop. Jamal’s passion to write is discovered by the old man, William Forrester, who happens to be an award winning author. Forrester challenges Wallace in his writing, and Jamal challenges Forrester in living. Jamal promises William that what is written within the apartment will remain within the apartment. When Wallace enters a writing contest he enters a work written within the apartment and thus breaks the promise between him and William. Jamal finds himself in trouble with the faculty at his new school because the first paragraph was a direct quote from one of Forrester’s earlier works. Forrester refuses to come out of his apartment for personal reasons and thus Jamal finds himself facing expulsion from school. Jamal refuses to betray his friend.


Jamal would not be expelled from school if it could be shown the author had permitted the copying. It was only the first paragraph which was exactly the same. Jamal knew his friend didn’t want attention or to come out of his apartment so he kept his mouth shut concerning the matter. His teacher was an embittered man who continually attempted to make Jamal look like a fool in front of his peers. “My foes have trampled upon me all day long, for they are many who fight proudly against me” (Psalm 56:2). “All day long they distort my words; All their thoughts are against me for evil. They attack, they lurk, They watch my steps, as they have waited to take my life” (Psalm 56:5-6). This language adequately describes the way the teacher treated Jamal. He had a personal vendetta against Jamal because he couldn’t believe this student could be a great athlete and intelligent. Jamal had done nothing to wrong this man, yet he was ridiculed and taunted by this man. Instead of defending his own personal honor, Jamal sat quietly to protect his friend, William Forrester. It is similar to how those who trust God must wait quietly for their enemies to be held accountable for their actions. As seen from the passages quoted above, Psalm 56 describes someone waiting for God’s justice. “You have taken account of my wanderings; Put my tears in Your bottle. Are they not in Your book?” (Psalm 56:8). God knows and sees what is happening in the world. He knows the innocent are being oppressed. The righteous face the attacks of the unrighteous. While it seems that God does nothing this Psalm describes the writers trust in God and promised justice. In the same way Jamal informs Forrester of his predicament and urges William to get out of his apartment and think of someone else for a change. Jamal is unsure how Forrester will respond. At this point it doesn’t matter. “What can man do to me?” (Psalm 56:11b). Jamal is willing to sacrifice his image before the teacher and school to protect his friendship with William Forrester. The psalmist cares more about God, and relationship with God, than relationship with other men. The psalmist identifies the way in which his words have been twisted from their original intent. He doesn’t take it personally, but seeks for God to be his vindicator. Justice will be served for the Psalmist had done nothing wrong. In the same way, Jamal had nothing to fear because he had done nothing wrong. Forrester emerges from his apartment to appear at the school informing the faculty that the words were indeed Jamal’s. At this point the teacher who originally accused Jamal looked like a fool. Jamal didn’t seek to make himself look better in front of others. The psalmist doesn’t seek to make himself look better in front of others. He trusts that God sees what is happening and will respond. And indeed, has responded. “For You have delivered my soul from death, Indeed my feet from stumbling, So that I may walk before God In the light of the living” (Psalm 56:13).


This passage is humbling. After viewing the movie I completely saw a tendency to seek my self image bypassing God’s justice. I wanted Jamal to show the teacher that he was a smart kid and athletically inclined despite the hard life growing up in the inner city of NYC. I desired Jamal to explain to the teacher how William Forrester was helping him and mentoring him. That would show the arrogant teacher! But, Jamal remained quiet. Much like the psalmist kept quiet before his enemies. The psalmist placed his trust in God who had shown his power and justice before. How the psalmist trusted God saw everything that was occurring, “Put my tears in Your bottle Are they not in your book?” (Psalm 56:8). I need to trust that God sees the wrong done to me in my life. He will be the one to bring justice and not I. I don’t need to use many words to protect myself because God is my ultimate protector. I can trust him because he has proven himself to me before through my salvation. I can take rest in Him because my soul finds refuge in him: “Be gracious to me, O God, be gracious to me, For my soul takes refuge in You; And in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge Until destruction passes by. I will cry to God Most High, To God who accomplishes all things for me. He will send from heaven and save me; He reproaches him who tramples upon me. God will send forth His loving-kindness and His truth.” (Psalm 57:1-3). The question is do I really trust this? Do I trust that God will accomplish all things for me? Am I willing to live in faith and trust that justice will prevail? I must. Jamal sat through the entire contest reading not knowing if William Forrester would pull through or not. He did which vindicated Jamal and served justice to the wrongfully accused. How much more should we trust in a great God who has promised to right the wrongs and provide justice?

---
not my best work...but i got the job done w/ this review. it's a good movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home