notes

Saturday, September 10, 2011

toward a personal discipleship w/ jesus.

Negative criticism is easier to accumulate than positive. Tearing down what Hull attempts to communicate in his book, “The Complete Book of Discipleship,” comes with greater ease than slowly sorting out beneficial information. Beneficial information is also relative to the intended audience. As students in a seminary our class is quite interested in sound Biblical evidence as to the origins of discipleship, etc. This is definitely important and should be a concern of all Christians. However, if the text is filled completely with different Biblical references I feel the reader may just become frustrated and overwhelmed. Hull used biblical references but not overwhelmingly. This is a commentary upon the nature of the Church today. I feel people would rather pick up any other book to tell them how to live then to just pick up the Bible. Even as I read the first chapter of Hull’s book I found myself skimming over the numerous references. I just wanted to grab the meat of what he was saying and placed my trust in Hull to interpret the scriptures he quoted correctly. I merely wanted to understand his point. If my reading habits are similar to others it seems rooting concepts of discipleship and formation in Scriptures is a difficult task to accomplish without loosing the interest of the audience. The intended audience is directed toward those in ministry who want to trust the information Hull is providing is Biblical. They desire answers to their problems to be found within the book. It seems to me that they are less interested in rooting the terminology within the Scriptures. We have become a people who are quick to look for answers from any place but our knees. But I digress further from the main question at hand. While lacking the fullness found within Wilkins, “Following the Master,” Hull does use some scripture reference to support his points but rather sporadically and superficially. He often references popular verses such as Matthew 4:19 without quantifying them contextually (Hull 43). One of the redeeming qualities of the first chapter is the list he provides at the end concerning, “Characteristics of Disciples” and “Competencies of Disciples.” This list doesn’t identify the goals of discipleship, but the means. What will be true of a disciple. He titles this section, “The Kind of Person the Gospel Can Create.” I think this should be titled, “The Kind of Person the Gospel WILL (has the power to) Create.” For it is God that is working within the person and nothing of their own effort.
“Does the gospel we preach produce disciples or does it produce consumers of religious goods and services?” (Hull 44). This question seemed quite convicting to me. I think everyone in ministry hopes disciples are being produced and the underlying fear is that more consumer Christians will arise. Prior to this statement Hull comments: “We’ve made the test for salvation doctrinal rather than behavioral, ritualizing it with walking the aisle, praying to receive Christ, or signing a doctrinal statement” (Hull 43). Hull asserts that Christians have made it too easy to “get into the life.” But from my limited experience it seems that the emphasis from the pulpit has been too much upon behavior and not much about the heart. In my understanding it’s not merely the behavior that needs to be modified, but the heart needs to be transformed as it is ultimate source of sin. “The evidence of salvation is living a life of transformation” (Hull 44). But what is transformation and how is one transformed? Hull perhaps is scratching the surface of a problem, but doesn’t dig too deeply. I feel as if I am in the midst of a community which recognizes that transformation is key. But, perhaps other areas within the body have not yet recognized this and base their view of change upon behavioral changes. Hull wavers between these two camps without making a sound argument for either side. I couldn’t determine his position upon this.
Chapter 2 is a brief overview of the origins of discipleship. Wilkins book, “Following the Master,” is definitely more complete in this regard. However, at the end of this chapter 5 different points (page 68) are enumerated. Hull asks the question: “Is this kind of discipleship common today?” He makes an observation that as Christians we often avoid submitting to others who teach us how to follow Jesus (69). Without submitting to others Hull asserts that we’ll be left unable to reach others. Hull’s entire argument here frustrates me. Hull pinpoints the problem to disciple-making becoming optional. But, disciple-making cannot be optional because those that have professed themselves as Christ followers ARE disciples. It seems that Hull means to assert growth or transformation has becoming optional. Perhaps I simply have difficulty with the terminology of “disciple-making” as this seems to infer we have some influence upon the ‘making’ of someone.
This is my first semester in ISF and have not been exposed to the other classes which study various spiritual formation movements in history. I thoroughly enjoyed this chapter. I have not been exposed to much Church history and so the broad overview piqued my interest in the subject. I was encouraged by the section describing the Benedictine monks and how they sought to meld together the secular and spiritual into one life. Each movement focused upon something different, however each movement emphasized the foundation to imitating Christ involves a something deeper and a cultivation of inner strength (88). I was encouraged as Hull stressed the importance of depth before strategy. This chapter is of great importance in this type of book. Discipleship isn’t something new which we have just recently stumbled across as a church community. Many saints have gone before us and we should learn from their mistakes and successes. Those that pick up this book are looking for some quick answers. I feel like this chapter can slow us down and cause us to look at the big picture and redirect us to realizing that discipleship/growth isn’t merely about numbers, but it’s about depth.
The distinguishing marks of a disciple as outlined by Hull include imitating Christ, a call to discipleship, and the six-fold definition of discipleship. While in class Hull was slightly criticized for his emphasis upon imitating others as they imitate Christ, this seems to have the ability to be a powerful influence upon individuals lives. I think Hull could have expanded and clarified his idea here a bit more. In my understanding, Hull is attempting to assert that other Christ followers ‘flesh out Jesus.’ We can see and feel Christ in the actions and words of others. I have experienced this in my own life when I have been so distraught that a time of solitude/silence could be nearly dangerous as I could get lost in despair. Instead what I needed was someone to come alongside me and remind me of truth and pray for me. This encourages me and allows me to see Christ more clearly in my life. Perhaps this is not what Hull is attempting to assert here. In any event, Hull needs to clarify that imitating others as they imitate Christ is not the goal of discipleship, but only a means to an end of becoming more like Christ. Hull makes a pertinent statement on pages 116: “This spiritual formation should be the church’s primary and exclusive work.” I wholeheartedly agree and wonder how many local churches in the evangelical community would disagree that our ultimate goal should be to create individuals who are following Christ. I think an individual has picked up this book because they seek to create this within their ministry. The ultimate question is how this type of work can be measured. How does one know if they are developing ministries which are fulfilling this ultimate goal? What does a ministry that seeks to fulfill this goal look like? I think this is my ultimate frustration within ministry and it’s not really addressed but only exacerbated.
Hull also addresses the call of discipleship within this chapter. While I don’t agree with what is mentioned at the top of page 117 (if one doesn’t feel an urge to follow Jesus then God isn’t at work within), I feel as if overall his emphasis on other facets of discipleship are encouraging. His emphasis upon discipleship as a call to life is especially encouraging. His quote from George MacDonald on page 117 was challenging, “It is simply absurd to say you believe, or even want to believe in him, if you do not do anything he tells you.” These are good assertions and sit well with me because I have grown up in a church which asserted similar things. However, as I let these words sink in I began to see how much weight or guilt can accrue through following these guidelines and especially when combined with the statement, “if you don’t feel an urge to follow and become like Jesus, God isn’t at work in you.” There isn’t any room for error or questioning. Much emphasis is placed upon the importance of transforming and living the life you are called to, but no explanation is given on how to live this life. If you question if you are even called to this and if that urge within you even exists you could begin to question your salvation. Hull also uses Luke 9:23-25 as an example of a call to discipleship which is a call to life. However, this dissertation is directed towards the crowd which means it was a call to salvation as asserted within Wilkins, “Following the Master.” I don’t mean to be incredibly critical of Hull. When I first read his work I nodded my head in agreement to much of what he communicated with the reader. However, as I began to sit with this assertions along with what I am attempting to ‘unlearn’ in my heart through the ISF program, I realized how little freedom is given within Hull’s statements. Anyone who has picked up this book is probably having some sort of ‘urge’ to follow Jesus. We don’t need another talk on laying down our life, but we need instructions and encouragement as we attempt this feat. Recognizing God’s voice is important and no one is helping individuals discern the Spirit within them.
The six-fold path he discusses gives a picture of what is expected of the transformed life. It begins to give a bit of that substance to that call to life he mentioned earlier. This list could be used as a gauge to assess a ministry within the church. You could ask which of these six points this specific ministry is attempting to strengthen. This could be of great help as church leadership determines what ministry (and how the ministry) should be emphasized within the church. The point which struck me as reading was the, “Love as Jesus Loved.” This is an area which I feel like God is working on within me (and will continue to deepen throughout my life). But this is an area which definitely cannot be exercised on your own. You cannot will yourself to love as Jesus loved. You must have an experience and deep understanding of the unconditional love offered through Jesus so you are free to love others as Jesus loved them. Hull states, “Christ loved other until they knew that he loved them—until they actually experienced his love” (140). I am pretty terrible at loving this consistently. If someone rejects me in the slightest I will flee. I will often hold back simply because if I am not vulnerable then I will not be hurt. However, to love as Christ loved calls us to be vulnerable and to pursue in love through the rejection after rejection. I am so far from this point. However, it is getting easier to understand how receiving love from God would fill me with the ability to love others. However, I am unable to receive God’s love apart from the work of the Spirit in my life. Some of the other points seem much easier to accomplish by ones own efforts. However, receiving love is really not something which can be attained by working hard as it’s more of an act of surrender.
Following the six-point steps in chapter 5 Hull outlines five different components needed to develop a healthy environment for discipleship. I just wanted to comment that I feel like any environment should (and is) used to develop discipleship. It’s more of our reaction to that environment which shapes us. I just think of those that have grown up in completely foreign environments to us here in affluent America. They are just as much as disciples of Jesus (and perhaps even stronger in heart) but have been in a harsh environment full of disgust and hatred toward them. The times which I have grown the most from have not been in these nice and safe environments, but the hurtful and harsh environments. Granted, it took me retreating to a ‘safe-place’ to process the hurt from that harmful environment, but it was because of the harmful environment that I learned these deep truths. Therefore it was difficult for me to continue reading this chapter without this question tainting all of which I read. However, I do understand Hull’s ultimate point that the church community should be one which can be that ‘safe-place’ which I experienced in being able to process things. I have experienced these type of environments. They have always been within a close knit group in the midst of serving. My experience has been in teams engaging in cross-cultural ministry. It’s a group no one can run away from because everyone is forced to interact in some degree. One quickly realizes you cannot hide and thus vulnerability ensues. This is especially true as the team goes through difficult things together which is difficult for others outside the group to relate (even upon arrival home to the states). You are able to trust others within group because you have seen them at their best and worst. However, even within these teams some level of trust needs to be developed amongst the members. At the foundation of all the ingredients listed is love. If the team member feels loved then all the ingredients of trust, submission, grace, humility, and affirmation will necessarily follow. This is a biblical understanding as well. Wilkins asserts this on page 138, “Love is the central theme of the disciple’s life and actions.” This is seen in Matthew 5:43-45 as Jesus asserts that one should love their enemy and pray for those who persecute them. However, Hull doesn’t offer any sort of encouragement to those that find themselves in a community with an extreme lack of trust or significant competition which could lead to one feeling an even greater sense of frustration rather than one of hope in what could come. Communities that exhibit these negative aspects should be encouraged of their opportunity to see Jesus redeem these qualities. Their community can change and the glory will not be of their own efforts, but to the work of Christ in their lives. Hull gives a big picture of a healthy environment; however, I believe this begins ultimately with the individual’s relationship with God. At the foundation of the ISF community is the understanding that all the students within the Spiritual Formation program desire and hunger to know to know God. A mutual commitment and understanding within the community must exist for the healthy environment for discipleship to be fostered. The environment cannot be changed to foster discipleship, but the environment will change as the individual grows in their discipleship to Jesus.
Hull’s goal in chapter 7 is to outline elements needed for spiritual transformation. He does a great job of outlining important components which can cultivate change in the life of the Believer. On page 193 he pulls all of this together as he states, “We interpret events and circumstances in light of Scripture, with insight from the Holy Spirit, and in the context of community.” Hull is hitting upon some important components that I feel have been missing from the Church. For one there is actually mention of the role of the Holy Spirit within the context of life circumstance and situations. It’s not merely a ‘spiritual’ realm of knowledge but real life is connected as well. Hull even explains how we position ourselves to a certain place in life and train ourselves. I agree that we train ourselves to respond in certain ways, but it also must be noted that even past obtaining the right behavioral response the heart must ultimately change for real transformation to take place. It’s not just behavioral change which is necessary as this can be done with behavioral modification or in the flesh. What is needed is openness to the work of the Spirit in ones life. We could simply modify our behavior out of the power of our flesh. Anything apart from Jesus will not produce good fruit (John 15). Hull makes some great points within this chapter, however, it seems dangerous that he continues to assert that discipline will develop good habits which is the end goal. “When we memorize Scripture, for example, we can recall a verse and choose not to sin when faced with a tough battle. We don’t have to think about it; it just comes naturally in the moment. That means the discipline has served us so we can better serve God” (104). I wish that transformation were this easy. I have many different verses memorized but this knowledge has not kept me from sinning. I am definitely aware of the discrepancy of what I am suppose to do and where I am. In “Renovation of the Heart” Willard states, “It is the central point of this book that spiritual transformation only happens as each essential dimension of the human being is transformed to Christlikeness under the direction of a generate will interacting with constant overtures of grace from God. Such transformation is not the result of mere human effort and cannot be accomplished by putting pressure on the will (heart, spirit) alone” (Willard, 42). At Talbot the Spiritual Formation program examines the gap between where we are in relation to God and where we know we should be. Memorizing scripture helps us know where we should be in this process but is incapable of producing change alone and at times leads to a frustration and discouragement of the Believer.
The disciple disciplines themselves and yet still finds themselves in sin. What has gone wrong? All of the ‘putting on’ of good things will not take care of the deeper sin issues going on within the heart. The concept of training should be saturated with emphasis upon obedience in following Jesus throughout ones daily life. Jesus is there in the good and bad. We should experience life as we follow Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home